[plug] [OT] Tape back-up

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 3 21:41:37 WST 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 21:36, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 21:25, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 March 2004 21:16, Chris Caston wrote:
> > > Anyway the tape is a ~40gb DDS4 part no: HP - C57 18a ( think
> > > but if there is a discrepancy it would be ether
> > > miscommunication over GSM or my own handwriting)
> > >
> > > So what are the deal with tape drives are there many
> > > different standards or are they mostly the same?
> >
> > DDS-4 are mostly the same; save for mis-alignments.
>
> Thanks Bernd. Any hints of where to buy these critters?

Try Trinix.

NOT cheap devices. Over $1200 for an internal Seagate version.
And you'll need at least an LVD SCSI host adapter, IIRC. So you're
not likely to see much change out of $2000 to "tool up" if there's
not suitable SCSI available.

Very risky; given HP's propensity to screw with the firmware of
standard drives.

Good idea might be to first plead with a current owner and bribe
them to read the data off the media for you. Several of my customers
have DDS-4 drives.. no hang on; they all have.