[plug] [OT] Tape back-up

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Mar 3 22:08:38 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 22:00, Craig Ringer wrote:

> I have a DDS-4 drive I can allow you access to. It's not going anywhere,
> though, so you'd need to bring the tape to me (Subiaco, late morning to
> early evening most days, contact for details).
>
> It's connected to a Debian box, so if it's an NTBACKUP tape you're out
> of luck - but if it's a cpio or tar archive etc, I should be able to do
> something with it.

Actually, I might be able to do something with it even if it is an
NTBACKUP tape, assuming NTBACKUP can work with files extracted from a
tape and made available over SMB. [checks out ntbackup.exe on nt4] ...
nope, sorry. "File? What's a file? Umm... I can't find your tape drive
anymore..." *sigh*.

P.S: Your ISP subscribes to ordb.org, so due to a brief problem here
it's not accepting my mail. Hopefully that condition will go away in a
few hours (it's been a fair few already), but in the mean time all
communication has to be over the list.

/hopefully/ it won't filter list traffic based on Received: headers...

BTW - anyone who runs a world-visible "gateway" mail server, and a
separate internal mail server, should make sure that:
	(a) the gateway is explicitly excluded from the list of domains the
internal server considers trusted to forward mail, and
	(b) the neither server (esp. the internal one) permits the use of %hack
addressing.

The combination of these two issues proved quite nasty. You never
realise quite how much your business relies on email until half of it
stops working! We'll probably be falling back to dialup for outgoing
mail tomorrow, if the block isn't removed soon. ordb.org ... aren't
prompt.

Craig Ringer