[plug] kernel 2.6.3 production-ready?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 00:11:20 WST 2004

Dear PLUG list members,

Is kernel 2.6.3 worth betting the farm on, stability-wise, to get my hands
on ACLs?   AFAICS, ACLs are natively in the 2.6 tree.   Alernatively I can
patch a 2.4 kernel with the stuff from bestbits.

I had a look through the changelog for 2.6.3 just now and the only things
relevant to ext3 (what I am using) or EAs comes from Andreas Gruenbacher
who fixed an i-block leak and an xattr function.   Most of the other
fixes seemed related to sound issues - not a problem for me on a server.

But this will be a production server - backed up, but a production machine
none the less - and I would prefer stability over convenience if that's
what it means.

Current comments?   (There's been a little on this in past threads but the
state of play may well have changed.)
Cheers and TIA,
Denis