[plug] kernel 2.6.3 production-ready?

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Mar 4 05:39:02 WST 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:11:20AM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> Dear PLUG list members,
>
> Is kernel 2.6.3 worth betting the farm on, stability-wise, to get my hands
> on ACLs?   AFAICS, ACLs are natively in the 2.6 tree.   Alernatively I can
> patch a 2.4 kernel with the stuff from bestbits.

If this is /all/ you want then the 2.4 kernel may be the better option
for you.  Having said that I run 2.6 on 2 production servers and I have
no problems at all.  I went from 2.4.22 -> 2.6.1 (haven't scheduled the
reboot time for the upgrade to .3) and I noticed things seemed more
snappy.

One of the slightly annoying problems with the upgrade to 2.6 is the
need for a new/different set of mudule tools.  To the best of my
knowledge they're not packaged in Debian stable (the only choice for a
UWA server ;P) and they (module-init-tools) tend to create package
managemtn problems for modutils.   This is by no means a showstopper
problem but it another reason you may not want to go down the 2.6 path
(yet).

In short I think 2.6 is production ready for fairly std. server BUT
distribution packageing may make it just a teansy-bit too painful to
switch to now.

/me steps off his soapbox

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://lca2005.linux.org.au/
        Apr 18-23 2005      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!