[plug] kernel 2.6.3 production-ready?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Mar 9 15:33:43 WST 2004

I thought I'd follow up on our discussion from earlier, as I've now
discovered what was going on.

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:59, Denis Brown wrote:
> At 10:38 4/03/2004 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 05:20, Denis Brown wrote:
> >
> > > Despite all the Good Things (tm) said about LVM, I was not planning to use
>
> <snip>
> >The snapshot handling is the #1 reason I'm using it (despite
> >the other features being the reason to choose to use it initially).
> >
> >LVM2's volume moves and clones look very handy, if I can ever get the
> >darn thing working...
>
> Ahhh... maybe I misunderstood.   So LVM is okay but LVM2 is the problem
> child?

Actually, it turns out that LVM2 doesn't support snapshots under 2.6
yet. *ARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH*. This information was much harder to
find than it should've been (esp since lists.sistina.com just times out
for me), but the following message confirms it:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22LVM2%22+%22snapshots%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=20031211194806.C27307%40uk.sistina.com.lucky.linux.kernel&rnum=10

This would be OK, if (a) it were properly noted in the LVM2 distribution
that snapshots do not work under 2.6, and (b) if they failed to work
gracefully, instead of taking an LV down in such a way as to require a
reboot to recover.

Note that LVM2 under 2.4 apparently supports snapshots fine, so you're
definitely better off moving your server to LVM2 under 2.4, then up to
2.6 when you need to.

So - a warning to anybody considering moving up to 2.6: IT'S LVM
IMPLEMENTATION IS CURRENTLY PARTIALLY BROKEN. Snapshots will not work.

Craig Ringer