[plug] kernel 2.6.3 production-ready?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 4 06:41:21 WST 2004

In a word - NO

Lots of problems on the gentoo list - performance problems, memory
management, hardware, ...

its a lot slower (~ a third, but getting better depending on the patch
set) on grunt work, but slightly better on the desktop

patches are not behaving cleanly (spewing odd messages to screen)

On my test install, the mm patch set works, 2.6.4-RC1-mm1 looks OK.
2.6.2 any inc vanilla wont boot with my hardware, 2.6.3 gentoo patches
has random lockups during boot, vanilla is slow and so on

fun to play with, but I would use it on anything important for awhile
yet - maybe 2.6.10 as per past kernels.

BillK