[plug] Writing a status applet for the Gnome2 panel

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Mar 4 13:34:54 WST 2004

Hi folks,

I have a tortuous link to the outside world via a switch, a wireless
link, a satellite link and a corporate firewall. I want to see what is
working and what is not.

I looked around for ready made applets to do this, but found none.
(Hints welcome)

I figured it would be a three liner once I actually had the shell, so I
went looking for documentation on how to write an applet.

Can anyone point me to actually existing documentation for gnome2
applets, since most refer to gnome1 and those don't seem to work.

I've spent all afternoon installing all manner of -dev packages, even
got one source applet to compile, but getting it to actually show up is
another thing entirely.

Why is this so horribly complicated?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..