[plug] Opteron queue

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Mar 4 13:58:26 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 13:39, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2004 11:40, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > It almost certainly has the most varied load, and is probably
> > right up there in overall workload, too. Still, we only have 2GB
> > of RAM and a dual Xeon - it's not a super-monster machine.
> > (Hmm... quad Opteron... *drools*).
>
> Best to wait until early next year to satisfy you yearnings;
> 	http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/35976.html
> and you'll be in the far queue anyway;
> 	http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/35965.html
>
> So the news is good; and bad. 90nm means fast clocks. but you'll
> have to wait to buy production chips.

I really doubt we'd need a quad Opteron anyway - though it'd be utterly
wonderful. I expect our current dual Xeon to do nicely for a few years,
though it'll be wanting a RAM upgrade to at least 4GB later (and the
disk storage is always growing). Hopefully I'll be able to get
Registered ECC DDR200 DIMMs in 1GB or 2GB when I need them...

Craig Ringer