[plug] Writing a status applet for the Gnome2 panel

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 14:20:53 WST 2004

In message <1078380765.10521.377.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:12:45PM +1100, Onno Benschop wrote:
> All I want is little status icon showing the state of a host. Green for
> fine, Orange for missing packets, Red for dead. Then I want to be able
> to configure the interval, the host and if I can only have one host per
> instance I want to run multiple instances.
>
> And I want it on my panel.

You could use a KDE-style GNOME "applet" for that. Very limited in terms
of interactivity, but it suited to the activity you described above (I
use such a thing for mail indication). I no nothing about GNOME 2,
though, which is why I haven't commented. I would be slightly surprised
if GNOME 1 applets weren't forward-compatible with GNOME 2.

> Again... Why is this so complicated?

Because no one has made such a solution available to you and you haven't
paid anyone to teach you how to do it yourself?

> PS. I am a subscriber of the list, so there is no need to send me a
> message as well as one to the list...

I am curious -- I modified the list so that posters' own Reply-To
headers would be honoured instead of ignored. Therefore, I would suspect
that your mailer is inserting 'Reply-To' headers when you post to this
list. I could be wrong, but then the problem will require further
investigation of mail headers, etc.