[plug] Dual-port nic

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 8 23:02:54 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 22:50, cevad wrote:
> Nathan,
>
> Maybe this could be ok?
>
> http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/404c875d063ad2d4273fc0a87f9
> c06ed/Product/View/XH7914

Cool product. Unfortunately, it's almost certain not to do what he wants
- unless the description is quite misleading. For the purposes
described, the card would need to have two or more independent network
interfaces that are not linked in any way. Otherwise, your DMZ or
whatever isn't really all that well separated after all.

Dual EEPro/100s are available, but they're ... not cheap. See
NIC-INT-8472 on
https://e5.eon.net.au/E5.cgi?ST=dma&CMD=Category&Category=NIC&Sort=Sub
(DMA's pricelist) under, for some reason, "Panasonic Charger of
Batteries".

There are cheaper ones out there - years ago, I saw NetGear twin and
quad port PCI NICs (prob'ly Tulip based) and I've heard of 3com and
tulip-based ones elsewhere. Finding them, though...

Craig Ringer