[plug] Help request

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Mar 9 22:12:21 WST 2004

Got everything to work.  The first thing I had to do was remove the Adaptec 39160 and the drives and the promise raid card.  Get everything back to the beginning with the boot drive only.  Once this was running properly, then I installed the promise raid card and drives.  Using the Promise driver on a floppy, it was picked up okay and then I went about making sure the module was loaded when the system was booted.  After I configured the drives I got the correct size for the raid (/dev/sda1).
Once this was running fine, I then installed the Adaptec 39160 SCSI Controller card, we had a slight problem initially trying to get the card module to stay loaded but this was resolved and now the system is setup the way I want it.  Took a little while but it's working great.  Now to move data from one server to another and retire the old (1 down and 4 to go).
I wasn't running cfdisk /dev/sda and this is why I wasn't able to see the drives.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> jturner at bsis.com.au 2:58:55 pm 9/03/2004 >>>
> Subject: [plug] Help request
>

> I've finally got the Promise FastTrak SX4000 installed in Suse
> Standard server 8 to load up on boot up and now I need some help
> in getting the drives (3 x 120GB) to work.  What I have is a
> RAID5 configuration using the Promise utility now.  When the
> server boots it recognises the controller and the drives and the
> RAID 5.  Then Suse loads and recognises the controller card.
> When I run cfdisk I see the 40GB WD drive that we use as a boot
> drive with about 6 partitions (hda1-hda7), cdrom, and floppy.
> I had a look on the web regarding setting up the SX4000 and all I
> see is the general setup of the controller card, nothing about
> getting the drives to show up.  Does anyone have any experience
> in the area. In other words what's next?

Have you installed the driver required for SUSE?
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=94&categ
ory=driver&os=1

Once the drivers are installed correctly you should be able to get
information regarding RAID status
by 'cat /proc/scsi/FastTrak/0' from memory.

Your IDE arrays should be available as /dev/sdx depending on partitioning
etc..

This information is based on my dealings with the FastTrak100 TX2 under
RedHat 7.3.

Hope this helps
Regards
Jay