[plug] thrashing hard disks

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Mar 10 16:13:00 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

>I've done similar things - when testing our current core server at the
>POST, I spent a happy week unplugging RAID disks unexpectedly, thrashing
>it in an attempt to get disks to misbehave, etc.
>
>Had I had the option, I would've /gladly/ screwdrivered a disk just to
>make sure the controller could handle it.

aha... I'm not about to do that in a hurry, even with the drives being
just over $400 / drive.  I did do the whole "lets hot unplug a drive and
see if it does in fact use the hot spare like its supposed to" when I
first installed the system and everything seemed to be fine.

Looks like Bonnie++ did what I wanted it to do.  Gave it enough disk
usage to cause it to stop working again.  Same system I was having
problems with last week... said drives were failed.  Basically recreated
the RAID arrays and it said a couple of different disks were stuffed...
but the ones that it previously said were stuffed were okay.  Now it
failed with "input/output" errors again whilst running bonnie++ and the
system doesn't make it past the RAID card initializing stage of boot
now.  Suspected it might've been the RAID card....

Good thing IBM have already sent another drive and a new RAID controller
to test with (hopefully here sooner rather than later).

/ Ben