[plug] thrashing hard disks

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 10 16:21:29 WST 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 16:13, Ben Jensz wrote:

> Looks like Bonnie++ did what I wanted it to do.  Gave it enough
> disk usage to cause it to stop working again.  Same system I was
> having problems with last week... said drives were failed.
> Basically recreated the RAID arrays and it said a couple of
> different disks were stuffed...  but the ones that it previously
> said were stuffed were okay.  Now it failed with "input/output"
> errors again whilst running bonnie++ and the system doesn't make
> it past the RAID card initializing stage of boot now.  Suspected
> it might've been the RAID card....

Customer of mine destroyed a database on an HP (Compaq) by trying to
hot-plug a replacement drive into a RAID. The hard reset it caused
resulted in write-pending buffers being *flushed* from the
controller's memory. (It's an Open Sewer system.)

I always tested hot-pluggability with no "costly" data on drives so
I can be sure that it works in production.