[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Thu Mar 11 16:27:14 WST 2004

G'day everyone,

I don't know how many people read the off-topic list so I thought I'd
post here initially.

I am a licensed amateur radio operator (callsign is VK6KSJ) and I'm
familiar with HF, VHF and UHF application, regulations, theory and
principle with radio equipment but I'm a n00b when it comes to computer
based wireless. The most I've done so far is play with localised
wireless with a small Intel Pro 5000 wireless kit.

We have in the budget a proposal for a wireless link between our Rec
Centre and Family Day care centre, up 'till now I was going to use a
wireless bridge between the Rec Centre and Family Day Care (FDC) but now
they've asked me to include a provision for our Parks and Gardens depot.

The idea is to connect FDC (and, eventually, the depot) by wireless to
the Rec centre and route that via our DDS link to the Admin building
which will spit it out onto the big bad world wide web.

Distance from Family Day Care to the Rec Centre is about 150m so that's
a peice of cake, from the Rec centre to deport is currently about 1,300
metres line-of-site but the reason they're asking me to provision for it
is because they plan to move the Depot's administration into behind the
rec centre, which will give a line-of-site distance of about 300 metres,
if that.

As I say, I was going to use a wireless bridge but I'm now checking
point to multi-point.

I'm looking at Proxim's Tsunami products right now but I don't know much
about computer based wireless and if it physically hooks up any
differently to amateur radio connections. I'm looking for advice on what
make and models are/is recomended and what prices are normal - I would
ask this question in isp-wireless or something but I doubt I'd get
(m)any replies from people in Australia, letalone WA.

Also, if anyone has a flow chart kinda idea of how it fits together,
that'd be appreciated.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Kai