[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Mar 12 04:56:39 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 19:27, Kai Jones wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> I don't know how many people read the off-topic list so I thought I'd
> post here initially.

Here is fine IMHO.

> Distance from Family Day Care to the Rec Centre is about 150m so that's
> a peice of cake, from the Rec centre to deport is currently about 1,300
> metres line-of-site but the reason they're asking me to provision for it
> is because they plan to move the Depot's administration into behind the
> rec centre, which will give a line-of-site distance of about 300 metres,
> if that.
>
> As I say, I was going to use a wireless bridge but I'm now checking
> point to multi-point.

IMHO (And you'll likely get lots of other ones as well), you don't need
to do anything that expensive at all.

Firstly, you don't say how many computers or users will use the link.

Secondly, you don't say where the Internet connection is.

My suggestion would be to: get three D-Link 900AP+, put an external
antenna on them, mount them appropriately and plug them each into the
local LAN in each building. They could all be configured as peer-to-peer
nodes, or you could make one an access-point and the other two as
clients. A third option is to configure them in bridging and repeater
modes (but I've not tried that lately.)

All I'm saying is that for around $1000 you can do this, and I'm
guessing the other stuff you're looking at would cost a tad more.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..