[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 12 08:43:41 WST 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 16:27, Kai Jones wrote:

> Distance from Family Day Care to the Rec Centre is about 150m so
> that's a peice of cake, from the Rec centre to deport is currently
> about 1,300 metres line-of-site but the reason they're asking me
> to provision for it is because they plan to move the Depot's
> administration into behind the rec centre, which will give a
> line-of-site distance of about 300 metres, if that.

Take a look here for what works:
	http://www.ozcableguy.com/wirelessbridge.html

> As I say, I was going to use a wireless bridge but I'm now checking
> point to multi-point.

Probably straight-forward... never done it myself.

Just remember that money doesn't replace expertise and you
won't learn anything by writing a cheque.

> I'm looking at Proxim's Tsunami products right now but I don't
> know much about computer based wireless and if it physically hooks
> up any differently to amateur radio connections. I'm looking for
> advice on what make and models are/is recomended and what prices
> are normal - I would ask this question in isp-wireless or
> something but I doubt I'd get (m)any replies from people in
> Australia, letalone WA.

The networking guys will try to sell you antennas at "stupid prices".
:-) Well, you'll think that they are stupid prices.

For price comparisons and some (probably biased) reviews look at the
main page of the site cited above.