[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Fri Mar 12 09:27:19 WST 2004

Bernd Felsche wrote:
> On Thursday 11 March 2004 16:27, Kai Jones wrote:
>

>>Distance from Family Day Care to the Rec Centre is about 150m so
>>that's a peice of cake, from the Rec centre to deport is currently
>>about 1,300 metres line-of-site but the reason they're asking me
>>to provision for it is because they plan to move the Depot's
>>administration into behind the rec centre, which will give a
>>line-of-site distance of about 300 metres, if that.
>

> Take a look here for what works:
> 	http://www.ozcableguy.com/wirelessbridge.html

Thanks for that link, I'm having a look now.

>>As I say, I was going to use a wireless bridge but I'm now checking
>>point to multi-point.
>

> Probably straight-forward... never done it myself.
>
> Just remember that money doesn't replace expertise and you
> won't learn anything by writing a cheque.

No, writing a cheque means bugger all.
I just had a look at that URL and the hardware they're using looks
familiar. I wasn't sure if I could use RG-213, Beldon or some other
lower-loss coax cable but it looks like they've used that, with N-type
PL-259 connectors, so that's no problem. If that is a PL-259 I can see,
they would've used N-type instead of standard PL-259 to try and avoid
coupling losses because when you're dealing with frequencies in the GHz
range antenna coupling's are usually a signifacant portion of a
wavelength, which causes the coupler to radiate signal instead of the
antenna radiating the signal.

>>I'm looking at Proxim's Tsunami products right now but I don't
>>know much about computer based wireless and if it physically hooks
>>up any differently to amateur radio connections. I'm looking for
>>advice on what make and models are/is recomended and what prices
>>are normal - I would ask this question in isp-wireless or
>>something but I doubt I'd get (m)any replies from people in
>>Australia, letalone WA.
>

> The networking guys will try to sell you antennas at "stupid prices".
> :-) Well, you'll think that they are stupid prices.
>
> For price comparisons and some (probably biased) reviews look at the
> main page of the site cited above.

QSL, thanks again I'll check it out.