[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Fri Mar 12 08:58:31 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:

[..]

>>Distance from Family Day Care to the Rec Centre is about 150m so that's
>>a peice of cake, from the Rec centre to deport is currently about 1,300
>>metres line-of-site but the reason they're asking me to provision for it
>>is because they plan to move the Depot's administration into behind the
>>rec centre, which will give a line-of-site distance of about 300 metres,
>>if that.
>>
>>As I say, I was going to use a wireless bridge but I'm now checking
>>point to multi-point.
>

> IMHO (And you'll likely get lots of other ones as well), you don't need
> to do anything that expensive at all.
>
> Firstly, you don't say how many computers or users will use the link.

Sorry, FDC has two computers, the depot has five so the links should not
have any congestion problems.

> Secondly, you don't say where the Internet connection is.

OK, currently it's like this:
Internet @ Shire Admin Office <- 512k symmetrical DDS -> Rec Centre.
I want FDC and Depot to route via the Rec Centre back to the Admin
Office for internet and other stuff.

Depot and FDC currently dial into our small modem bank here at the Admin
office, but that's painfully slow for the main applicaton they use over
the modem.

Depot and FDC will be routing via the Rec Centre

> My suggestion would be to: get three D-Link 900AP+, put an external
> antenna on them, mount them appropriately and plug them each into the
> local LAN in each building. They could all be configured as peer-to-peer
> nodes, or you could make one an access-point and the other two as
> clients. A third option is to configure them in bridging and repeater
> modes (but I've not tried that lately.)

Righteo, I'll check out the 900AP+, thanks.

> All I'm saying is that for around $1000 you can do this, and I'm
> guessing the other stuff you're looking at would cost a tad more.

No worries, any recommendations for suppliers ? prefferably in WA but
outside WA is fine ?

Thanks
Kai

PS: Enjoy Tassie !