[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Fri Mar 12 12:36:47 WST 2004

Ben Jensz wrote:
> Kai Jones wrote:
>

>> Yup, if I can't get the AP mounted in an airconditioned area we'll get a
>> vented box made up for it. The AP at the Rec centre will be sitting about
>> 40' away from the pool so any breeze will be nicely water cooled :) FDC's
>> mount point might be a little harder to keep cool but we'll figure
>> something
>> out.
>>

> Ventilated = letting the elements in though :)  Especially when we get
> that horizontal rain during parts of the year.  If a product located
> outside can tolerate the weather conditions we get here during certain
> times of the year... its doing pretty well.  I'd personally suggest that
> when you purchase this equipment, make sure you factor in spares.  If
> you go for 900+ APs, then keep a spare on standby in case one gets blown
> up or even blown away :)

Yahuh, sorta catch 22 but what I'm thinking is to have a bottom-less box
with no vents on the side or top, but have the AP sitting on a grill
kinda thing so, even though there's no air coming in from around the
box, a bit of suction happening from atmospheric pressure differences
and blah blah, should get enough breeze in there to keep everything happy.

A very sturdy mount should hopefully stop it having any hassles during
cyclones and unexpected squalls, then again, if a cyclone's coming we
could just un-mount it just after yellow alert has been issued and put
it up whe the cyclones gone.

If I decide to go with the 900+ AP's I'll factor in two and give reasons
and see if the councillors understand the logic.

>> Nice ? hehe, if you're like me and you like the tropical thundestorms,
>> cyclones, heat and humidity, anything below 25 degrees is "cold" :P
>>

> Yes, nice weather... I like sitting on the verandah watching lightning
> and the rain.  But there is the other side of it, and that is when it
> has stopped raining and the sun comes out... you're sweating like you've
> just taken a shower within 30 seconds of leaving air con.

Yeah, that side does suck a bit...but I think I'd rather the sweat
factor than the freeze-your-ring-off factor which I got when I was in
Perth !

>> Tourists love it though, 'specially those from the south eastern
>> states like
>> Victoria, they flock here during dry season, speaking of which,
>> completely
>> off topic but something that exceeded my expectations: Broome's general
>> population is around 14,000...Shire statistics show during dry season
>> that
>> can swell to around 50,000 which is why you should ALWAYS book prolly six
>> months in advance if you want to come here during the dry season !
>
> Yup, post office had those stats already... up to 14000.  Grown by about
> 5000 since I've been here.
>
> Its still amazing how many idiots rock up with caravans that haven't
> booked anywhere to stay.... and then have the audacity to bitch about
> the fact that we should have somewhere for them to stick their caravan
> (I can think of a few places..) and then bitch that the prices are more
> expensive than Melbourne or Sydney or whatever place they're from.
> And... I think I'll stop ranting now....

...and how many people come in to abuse the rangers because they got a
ticket for double or triple parking their vehicle + trailor/caravon
along three parking bays, and or using a public carpark as a camping
facility...ffs, this is a turist town, BOOK AHEAD !

Anyway, yer, back on-topic for this thread, I'll check out those AP's
and stuff, see if can get some prices and see what happens.

Thanks for all input so far, very much appreciated !
Cheers

Kai