[plug] OT: Point to multipoint wireless

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Mar 12 12:18:38 WST 2004

Kai Jones wrote:

>Yup, if I can't get the AP mounted in an airconditioned area we'll get a
>vented box made up for it. The AP at the Rec centre will be sitting about
>40' away from the pool so any breeze will be nicely water cooled :) FDC's
>mount point might be a little harder to keep cool but we'll figure something
>out.

Ventilated = letting the elements in though :)  Especially when we get
that horizontal rain during parts of the year.  If a product located
outside can tolerate the weather conditions we get here during certain
times of the year... its doing pretty well.  I'd personally suggest that
when you purchase this equipment, make sure you factor in spares.  If
you go for 900+ APs, then keep a spare on standby in case one gets blown
up or even blown away :)

>Nice ? hehe, if you're like me and you like the tropical thundestorms,
>cyclones, heat and humidity, anything below 25 degrees is "cold" :P

Yes, nice weather... I like sitting on the verandah watching lightning
and the rain.  But there is the other side of it, and that is when it
has stopped raining and the sun comes out... you're sweating like you've
just taken a shower within 30 seconds of leaving air con.

>Tourists love it though, 'specially those from the south eastern states like
>Victoria, they flock here during dry season, speaking of which, completely
>off topic but something that exceeded my expectations: Broome's general
>population is around 14,000...Shire statistics show during dry season that
>can swell to around 50,000 which is why you should ALWAYS book prolly six
>months in advance if you want to come here during the dry season !

Yup, post office had those stats already... up to 14000.  Grown by about
5000 since I've been here.

Its still amazing how many idiots rock up with caravans that haven't
booked anywhere to stay.... and then have the audacity to bitch about
the fact that we should have somewhere for them to stick their caravan
(I can think of a few places..) and then bitch that the prices are more
expensive than Melbourne or Sydney or whatever place they're from.
And... I think I'll stop ranting now....

/ Ben