[plug] XandrOS 2.0

Milan Pospisil Milan.Pospisil at swantafe.wa.edu.au
Fri Mar 12 14:55:43 WST 2004

>>> squid at iinet.net.au 03/11/04 10:05pm wrote: >>>

Hello all,

The current issue (April) of Australian PCAuthority has a installation
CD for XandrOS 2.0.

The installation XandrOS (Debian-based) on a Intel Pentium IV system
with a SiS motherboard went so very smoothly.

Within an hour I have a working linux install with internet connectivity
from one of the three ethernet adapters, Instant Messaging and VNC
connectivity were nice additions.  The internet update was also flawless.

The GUI is configured to make Windows users comfortable (similar to
Lycoris) and it claims to be able to run most Windows applications 'out
of the box'.

Has anyone else had any experience with it?

Cheers,

Vaughan

―------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Vaughan,
                       I personaly reckon that Xandros2.0 is OK, even though there is still some room for improvement. The installation was pretty straight forward and easy and there are some nice features to it. Not quite so when I tried the second (application) CD.That was a bit of a challenge and I needed some help there (thanks Cameron).
 Then in order to play encrypted DVDs I installed  a decoder from :
http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.8/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
 That worked, except I lost sound. Disabling ALSA drivers and replacing them with OSS solved that one(thanks Davyd). However, chances are that the problem is more with my sound card(part of the motherboard) then with Xandros. I will try a decent PCI sound card when I get one.
 Another thing about Xandros 2.0 I can not figure out: Does it have a firewall? I do not remember seeing anything about it during the installation and I can not find any traces of it.
 Otherwise, there are some features other distros do not seem to have like the CrossOver Office ad so far I can not complain there.
 There is a Xandros forum http://forums.xandros.com/ if anyone is interested.
                                                                                                                  Regards
                                                                                                                                    Milan Pospisil