[plug] XandrOS 2.0

Mark J Gaynor mark at mjg.id.au
Sat Mar 13 05:35:32 WST 2004

On 3/12/04 at 2:55 PM Milan Pospisil wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>The current issue (April) of Australian PCAuthority has a installation
>CD for XandrOS 2.0.
>
>The installation XandrOS (Debian-based) on a Intel Pentium IV system
>with a SiS motherboard went so very smoothly.
>
>Within an hour I have a working linux install with internet connectivity
>from one of the three ethernet adapters, Instant Messaging and VNC
>connectivity were nice additions.  The internet update was also flawless.
>
>The GUI is configured to make Windows users comfortable (similar to
>Lycoris) and it claims to be able to run most Windows applications 'out
>of the box'.
>
>Has anyone else had any experience with it?

Yes. I have this distro and I can run Office 2000 out of the box. Cool
stuff.

It is not the ultimate solution, but, it goes a long way to bridging the
void
between Linux and Windows. I think this type of solution will help the
open source community in converting people to a more stable workstation.
The out of the box utilities are just what most people use and you don't
have
to search the net to get and install them.

Mark