[plug] XandrOS 2.0

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Sun Mar 14 04:03:57 WST 2004

Shayne O'Neill wrote:

>whoa! Nice. office2000 outa the box. that is just.. stunning.
>
>I've dicked about with crossover office, which is OK I guess , but I gotta
>admit it was a little clunky.
>
>deb based... I'm sold.
>
>------------------------------------
>"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
>-Aesop.
>Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.
>http://www.perthimc.asn.au
>
>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Mark J Gaynor wrote:

Ditto.

I was getting frustrated that RealOne media player didn't seem available
for Linux, then I saw that it is on Xandros 2.0.

So I installed it from a magazine CD and it is very nice.. There's not
the 5,000 application choices which seen to be there in modern distros,
but everything is there I need.

It set up my NVidia driver, wireless card, X, sound. Very nice.

One trick was that while it did not query me for wireless config info,
there is a nice wireless tools gui in the control centre. No dicking
about with wireless-tools commands or installation. I know it's not hard
but I'd like to see Linux spread, so making it easy is in everyone's
interests..

The distro seems very polished so far.. And it's Debian based too!! WOOO!!

The Xandros sources-list doesn't have mythtv (for when I fix the
desktop), sylpheed or libdvdcss, but I know where to get that!
Debian-ness mmmm...  8^)==

Garry