[plug] installed it

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Mar 13 22:25:07 WST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 11:30:40 +0800 leon at lostrealm.com (Leon Blackwell) wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 10:45:50AM +0800, Harry wrote:
> > As Shane said, Yahoo and MSN change the way the messages are sent so gaim
> > stops working. You need to get a newer version that talks to Yahoo correctly.
>
> Or use a Jabber-based client and leave the updating of protocols to the
> server admins.
>

> > The Computer Angels may be able to provide gaim in the future. It might be
> > better to continue to use email and chat in the meantime.
>
> You might also like to take a look at psi or gabber.  The version of psi
> in debian/stable isn't as good as the noe now in testing, but it works
> just fine.  All you need to do is point it at a jabber server that
> supplies the required transports.
>
> Given that the average Computer Angels user doesn't want to deal with
> nistalling the latest version of gaim from CVS, this might be a more
> friendly path to set them up on.

Thanks Leon

That is a very clever approach that I didn't know about.

We have spoken about setting up a closed chat space for Computer
Angels participants to chat in relative safety before venturing
further and also to provide a forum that they can assist each other.
Like the PLUG list, explaining to someone else is training too.

What we could also do is set up a jabber server for our participants
too and maintain protocol changes at one point. Very cunning.

cu
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/