[plug] KDE 3.2 in sid

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sun Mar 14 18:11:11 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 11:34, Chris Caston wrote:
> KDE 3.2 is excellent. I am very happy with its speed and good looks.
> I even noticed that you can select a "Redmond" style splash screen that
> looks like XPs welcome screen.
>
> At first I did have a problem today when starting up that KDE wouldn't
> load and it was stuck on X with the skeleton windows manager.
> I dist-upgraded my system, changed from XDM to KDM, and selected KDE
> again as the Window manager from KDM and it loaded fine.

I just thought I'd try it out, I'm a Gnome boy. <- full stop

160MB or so later it all worked fine, seems faster than Gnome on the
same machine and handles 256MB of RAM much better, but I still don't
fancy it ... yet :)  Will take me a while to get used to it.

My beloved 'Debian' menu is missing and I'm staring blankly at the wall
instead of using all my normal apps too :)

The point of this email was actually to bring up a bug i noticed.  The
clock, bottom right by default.  The time displayed in the mouse-over
pop-up does not update.  The only way to make it update is by changing
the clock type or doing some other major action on the applet.  Then it
remains stuck on the same time until you do it again.  The applet itself
displays the correct time however.

Anyone else noticed this?

Ryan