[plug] Intel Processor naming conventions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 15 23:48:51 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 23:36, J Michael Gilks wrote:

> The problem is the processor is a Celeron 800 MHz and I am not sure if this
> counts as a i686 processor or a Pentium 3 or 4, or maybe I should just use
> the x86 packages.

The celeron is definitely i686, and was either PII or PIII based at
various stages. The Celeron 800 is AFAIK PIII. That said, if the
pentium3 optimiser is making assumptions about cache size, etc, you may
get better results with i686.

I'd go with i686 anyway, and avoid wasting time for at best a couple of
percent of performance.

Craig Ringer