[plug] [OT] Recover data from DDS4 tape

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Mar 18 13:53:28 WST 2004

Hello,

A short while ago I posted to the list in regards to recovering data
from a 40gb DDS4 backup tape for a customer.

I've had a little trouble getting this done. I must say that I have
almost no exposure to tape backup so am VERY ignorant on this subject.

I did get another Linux user on this list to try to help me recover the
data but we could not work out what the block size was so I have a
assumption that an NT/w2k machine may be needed to do this.

The data was written on an NT platform using Vertitas backup Executive
and as I hear NT backup is Veritas lite so it should be able to recover
it.

If someone here could give a rough idea on how much it would cost them
to recover the data I'll pass the quote on the customer and or exchange
phone numbers for you.

Otherwise if you know of a business that could do it please let me know
as well.

thanks (and sorry for the OT stuff I'll *REALLY* try and stop this
soon),

Chris

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.