[plug] hello

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Mar 18 17:32:00 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

| What I /hate/ is "hey, this thing sucks, it doesn't work. Someone
| tell me how to make it go."

Indeed.  And if you expect someone to help you voluntarily, it's
generally not a good idea to start by insulting them or their work.

| [craig at albert ~]$ help
| help: Command not found.
| [craig at albert ~]$ ?
| ?: No match.
|
| (Fire up tcsh, csh, bourne shell, ash, or basically anything else but
| bash and maybe zsh and you'll see what I mean.

Nope, I think it's really only bash that has decent help.

!562:?0:(cameron at erdos ~) help
zsh: command not found: help
!563:?1:(cameron at erdos ~) ?
zsh: no matches found: ?

| To be honest, I think one of the reasons PLUG tends to be a bit more
| newbie-friendly is that there's enough other discussion going on that
| the list doesn't feel like "free tech support central".

Agreed.  On some occasions I participate mainly in the off-topic
discussion, others in the general Linux-y stuff; sometimes I try to
help people, often I need help myself.  It's a good mix :-)

Cameron.