[plug] creating more partitions

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Mar 19 20:30:42 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 15:20, smclevie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if someone could tell me the simplest and easiest way to create a
> couple more partitions on a drive?
>
> The drive is fully utilized (no space not partitioned) and I want to create
> a couple more partitions.
>
> How to do without pain and loss?
>
> It is a Debian stable with Ext3 partitions at the moment.
>
> Use 'parted'??  Is reliable??  No special tricks??  Will mount successfully??

Yes parted with partgui is probably the closest to what you are looking
for. Try the Gentoo based systemrescuecd
(http://www.systemrescuecd.org/)

For an iso that you can burn to cd and boot from.

It's not perfect, however, I have had issues resizing vfats that were
imaged using partimage (which can't *yet* expand an image to fill the
destination drive. At least the last time I tried.)

> (I think in a Windows environment one would use 'Partition Magic')

Yes. You don't need to use it from Windows in fact it's best to boot of
disks or from a CD. Partition magic is usually more stable for doing
things for Windows customers but the open source partition solutions
will have better support for non-mainstream, better performance file
systems. Partition magic of course is not free but I believe that is a
Soltek motherboard you can buy that it comes bundled with. I'm not sure
which one.

> Cheers,
> Steve.

Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.