[plug] apt-history

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sat Mar 20 14:18:02 WST 2004

Hi folks,

This was going to be a message about something really cool I noticed
when I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade, but it's turned into something
else instead...

What I was going to say was: "One of the reasons I prefer Debian is
because it just works. Today I upgraded my machine and it noticed that
there was a later source package for my alsa drivers, so it downloaded
them, compiled them, installed them and was done..."

However, when I started to check my system, I couldn't actually find if
that was indeed the case. The thing that alerted me was the CPU load
going to 100% and the console talking about alsa.

Now I wanted to go back and see what it was that was actually done, and
I can't say that I can see anything...

The only evidence I have that there is a new alsa is that the changelog
in my in-box (thanks to apt-changelog) shows a new version of alsa.
Furthermore, the modules.* files (in /lib/kernel-version/) have a
time-stamp in the middle of the upgrade.

Sooo....

How do I find out what actually happened?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..