[plug] apt-history

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 20 14:26:54 WST 2004

In message <1079763482.1685.28.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 05:18:02PM +1100, Onno Benschop wrote:
> The only evidence I have that there is a new alsa is that the changelog
> in my in-box (thanks to apt-changelog) shows a new version of alsa.
> Furthermore, the modules.* files (in /lib/kernel-version/) have a
> time-stamp in the middle of the upgrade.

I don't know what information apt-changelog provides, but one thing that
I would normally do for interest's sake is go to /var/lib/dpkg/info and
`ls -ltr | tail`. You may prefer `ls -lt | head` ;-) Zero-sized '.list'
files indicate packages that have been purged while the remainder show
packages that are installed. Anyway, I would look at the timestamps to
work out which packages were changed recently. For packages that have
changed, you can then view the removal/installation scripts (e.g. `ls
*alsa*`). You can also use `apt-cache policy` to see which versions
are available and which is installed.