[plug] exim problems

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 21 16:31:58 WST 2004

Hi,

(This is only Linux-related because the problem system is a Debian woody
host running the default installation of exim. I don't think the problem
is at all specific to Debian, as I have had a similar problem as a
reluctant users of exim under other operating systems.)

I am wondering if anyone knows how to turn exim's "lose my mail" option
into "sent mail to postmaster" (or something else that's similarly
useful -- even if it starts off as a mere "log error to disk" option)? I
know nothing about exim administration, but I did grep exim.conf for
/dev/null. I am getting the feeling that exim has only a single
execution path that leads to a complete, unlogged loss of e-mail and
that I'm the only unlucky sod who hits this path *every* time I go near
an exim system. I've not corresponded with any exim admins who've ever
known what's going on (because it's unlogged, they claim ignorance). I
have a machine that's losing some mail but I don't want stuff around
with MTAs because the machine is simply being used to test a small app
and will never have its MTA used again.