[plug] Standards

Sham Chukoury chukoury at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 23 10:41:18 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 09:49, Garry wrote:

> Web standards - like accounting standards, politeness and ethics, make the world a MUCH nicer place to be in. David Emberton misses the point completely there. The trouble with having such a dominant player in the browser market is that it will try to use it's position (as it has done several times!!) to exclude competition, embrace and extend standards. Readers on the PLUG list are well aware of this stuff, but Emberton thinks it is a GOOD thing that it is happening!!
>
> His reasons for hating CSS?
>
> a. you need a degree to understand them
> b. Microsoft doesn't care about them
> c. they suck.
>
> a. Any web developer worth his/her salt will understand why CSS is important, will know it makes web page development EASIER, and will make it a professional mission to muster enough IQ points to understand them..
>
> b. Microsoft is not going to like anything that that does not benefit Microsoft.
>
> c. No Mr. Emberton, you do. Your demonstrated reasoning ability is not worthy of publication IMHO.

Hating CSS? *rofl* Troll alert!

a. If you can't understand basic CSS after giving it a reasonable try,
you must be either low on the IQ scale, slow to grasp new technology, or
both. Certainly not what I'd expect from any decent IT professional.

b. Microsoft's already demonstrated that it doesn't care about CSS, by
having rather broken CSS support in IE. This makes CSS harder to write
to ensure compatibility - simple CSS which works well enough in other
browsers has to be re-written to find ways to work around the IE issues.

c. Well, how about Mr Emberton coming up with a style formatting
framework that is as simple and flexible as CSS? Something which is not
then hijacked by Microsoft and given proprietary (patented?) extensions.

</2cents>
§:)