[plug] Standards

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 23 11:03:19 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 09:49, Garry wrote:
> I read something yesterday which made my blood boil.

That's alright because now we hear about it on here. Playing devils
advocate is actually a good publicity stunt now and again. We'll all
have to buy APC I guess to read what the article said ;)

If he had of written about how he liked web standards and said that CSS
was a good thing he would never hear about it. In addition to this is a
good to see that their are two sides to every argument.

Standards (not just web standards) can also have a negative effect when
a standard is adopted that is quickly made obsolete by the new
(constant) rapid developments that happen daily.

For instance I'd like to have 802.16e right now but it's still being
ratified. Once it is ratified there will probably be something about it
that I or others would like changed but they didn't know about it when
the IEEE or whoever it is was putting it together.

In another instance (or analogy) sure the people on this list are quick
to point out poor use of the English language standard but what happens
when you need to key a new phase or term or describe something that
currently can't be described in English?

You use that term and describe using existing English what that new term
means but it will take a long time before most people know about and
accept that new term. In the meantime that term could still be very
essential for communication in certain circles.

regards,

Chris Caston

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.