[plug] VOIP setup for Linux network

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 23 14:42:31 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:31, Onno Benschop wrote:

> The service provides a proxy that allows you to traverse a NAT/firewall.
>
> VoIP will likely not work over a NAT connection without some external
> solution, because you need to support both TCP and UDP connections (the
> former to set-up the call, the latter to transport the audio).
>
> The ATA186 supports all manner of protocols, IIRC SIP is supported. You
> may need a call manager from CISCO, but I've heard others report that
> you can just install Asterix and use that.

Thanks Onno,

(rest of comments read but not quoted in reply. I'll try and get my head
around things)

I assume things are (maybe) more difficult for you be because you are
using Satellite. I did get an e-mail from a Kind person at CSC that gave
me hope that the Cisco phones also support SIP.

At the moment it does look like I may need to use Asterisk or one of
those SIP proxies. Or even may need to buy some more IP's...

I've e-mail to ask how their other customers connect which should help.

BTW after this is done if anyone else on the list wants to know how to
do it themselves I will be more and happy to divulge everything I have
leaned in the process.

It would be really cool to get this done with open source software and
will try to report my successes (or otherwise) back to the list. Think
of all the businesses that require more than one phone line. We could
put a Linux box in set this up and save them a packet! (No pun intended)

thanks,

Chris Caston

--
Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.