[plug] HW suggestions?

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 23 21:04:31 WST 2004

I know this is off track, so I ask the list's indulgence..

Due to a full hdd and a suspected cooked Athlon 800, I lashed out and
bought a 120Gig hdd and a Duron 1600 CPU, and a TV card to boot. Thought
I'd update the old girl. Silly enthusiasm in hindsight.

Unfortunately my current A7V m/b doesn't seem to want to play with any
of them.. It does work fine with the Athlon 800, infuriatingly reliable
- as it was configured before. I thought it was semi dead (soon to die)
for sure after getting to 117C.

So to use these "bits" I'll build a TV box.

Naturally I don't want to be buying any more poor choices.. Or waste
money on what is really a fairly modest PC!

Would PLUGgers have any good suggestions from recent experience? Current
m/b is about 4 years old.
New case with a 400W+ supply, a socket A m/b and RAM is what I'll need..
Built in LAN is good if it is a common chipset, about 4 PCI slots + AGP
port... Lowish cost is good..

Extreme cutting edge stuff (or a speccy feature list) isn't needed.. The
TV card is the most work it'll do!

Like I said, this is out of the normal. But ideas would be appreciated.

Garry