[plug] HW suggestions?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Mar 23 22:40:01 WST 2004

Try:

MSI AMD K8T Neo-FIS2R Athlon64(Socket 754) ATX MAINBOARD

$209ex

+

AMD ATHLON64 3000+ $315ex

from one of my wholesalers ;-P

Seriously a 32bit CPU, 256mb DDR and mobo will set you back about $250.
There's even an MSI board that still takes SDRAM.
Just got for that. Sell your other parts in the Quokka to get some money
back.

regards,

Chris

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 21:04, Garry wrote:
> I know this is off track, so I ask the list's indulgence..
>
> Due to a full hdd and a suspected cooked Athlon 800, I lashed out and
> bought a 120Gig hdd and a Duron 1600 CPU, and a TV card to boot. Thought
> I'd update the old girl. Silly enthusiasm in hindsight.
>
> Unfortunately my current A7V m/b doesn't seem to want to play with any
> of them.. It does work fine with the Athlon 800, infuriatingly reliable
> - as it was configured before. I thought it was semi dead (soon to die)
> for sure after getting to 117C.
>
> So to use these "bits" I'll build a TV box.
>
> Naturally I don't want to be buying any more poor choices.. Or waste
> money on what is really a fairly modest PC!
>
> Would PLUGgers have any good suggestions from recent experience? Current
> m/b is about 4 years old.
> New case with a 400W+ supply, a socket A m/b and RAM is what I'll need..
> Built in LAN is good if it is a common chipset, about 4 PCI slots + AGP
> port... Lowish cost is good..
>
> Extreme cutting edge stuff (or a speccy feature list) isn't needed.. The
> TV card is the most work it'll do!
>
> Like I said, this is out of the normal. But ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Garry

Linux is ready for the desktop like a Boeing F-22 is ready for the
run-way.