[plug] HW suggestions?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Mar 24 18:48:02 WST 2004

Bernd Felsche wrote:

| > According to   http://www.linuxtested.com/results_servera.html
| > the nforce2 sound has no Linux drivers.
|
| Apparently :-) sound is Realtek ALC650 with ALSA.
| The network needs a bit of work by building an "nvnet" kernel module
| by downloading from nvidia.com and compiling.

Nope, there's now a Free driver in the kernel source tree as of 2.4.25
and 2.6.3.  It works fine for me on the two machines I've tried it on.
The sound also works with the stock i810_audio driver in sufficiently
recent kernels for those who don't want to mess with Alsa.  I'm
generally pretty happy with the A7N8X in my desktop in terms of Linux
support, stability and performance...

At one stage AGP wasn't supported on this chipset for non-Nvidia
graphics cards.  I'm pretty sure it is now but could be wrong.

| Maybe his Duron actually has a T'bred core.

I doubt it; I believe Duron cores have different code names.

Cameron.