[plug] HW suggestions?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 24 11:45:21 WST 2004

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 10:34, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 March 2004 21:04, Garry wrote:
> > > Unfortunately my current A7V m/b doesn't seem to want to play with
> > > any of them.. It does work fine with the Athlon 800, infuriatingly

> Did you check the ASUS website? It might just need a BIOS upgrade.

> > ASUS A7N8X-VM is a uATX mainboard with all the fruit you need... add

> Does the sound work with Linux?
> According to   http://www.linuxtested.com/results_servera.html
> the nforce2 sound has no Linux drivers.

Apparently :-) sound is Realtek ALC650 with ALSA.
The network needs a bit of work by building an "nvnet" kernel module
by downloading from nvidia.com and compiling.

"Fully" supported by SuSE 8.2 and 9.0. Except that the network
doesn't work until nvnet module is built and loaded. :-)

I've just dusted off the manual and unfortunately for Garry, the
board doesn't list his Duron chip as supported. Manual says Athlon
XP up to 3000+ ; specifically Thoroughbred and Barton cores. Maybe
his Duron actually has a T'bred core.

See also http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-vm/overview.htm