[plug] Debian Networking Question

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Wed Mar 24 17:33:41 WST 2004

Hi folks:

I'm having some trouble with a debian 3.0r2 machine I'm setting up.  It's on
a network of XPs with an XP server connected to the net via dial-up (yes, I
know I have it around the wrong way -- the deb machine will be replacing the
existing server once it's configured and secured).  The problem I'm having is
that I can ping the network machines but I can't reach beyond the server to
the big wide world.  I thought it was a routing problem but the routing looks
right.  Then I noticed that the XP network is running off dhcp.  I was told
by the XP tech it wasn't and that I should just set everything manually.  How
do I reset the networking to dhcp after having manually set it during the
install?  I'm new to debian and it's been a long time since I had to
comfigure a network so be gentle.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

(6)	Men employees will be given time off each week for courting
	purposes, or two evenings a week if they go regularly to church.
(7)	After an employee has spent his thirteen hours of labor in the
	office, he should spend the remaining time reading the Bible
	and other good books.
(8)	Every employee should lay aside from each pay packet a goodly
	sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years,
	so that he will not become a burden on society or his betters.
(9)	Any employee who smokes Spanish cigars, uses alcoholic drink
	in any form, frequents pool tables and public halls, or gets
	shaved in a barber's shop, will give me good reason to suspect
	his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
(10)	The employee who has performed his labours faithfully and
	without a fault for five years, will be given an increase of
	five cents per day in his pay, providing profits from the
	business permit it.
		-- "Office Worker's Guide", New England Carriage Works, 1872

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/