[plug] Samba group awarness

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 25 15:30:37 WST 2004

At 14:46 25/03/2004 +0800, Ryan wrote:
>On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 14:16, Denis Brown wrote:
>
> > My solution to date is to offer my Windows users (the majority so far)
> > FileZilla running SSH2 to move data backwards and forwards.   In fact,
> once

<snip>

>Have you had a look at WebDrive?  The new version handles SFTP on 2K/XP
>boxes and the older version supports seamless SSH tunnelling if you have
>older versions of Windoze.
>
>http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/index.html

Sweet!   I'll have a closer look.  Windows a mix of 2K, XP, NT4 and even
one W98 machine so the  earlier version may be a go-er.   Could be the
answer to all my wishes and seems to suggest it is not fussed about how the
drives are exposed (WebDAV, SFTP, etc) so should not be fussed about the
Linux box not being part of an AD or workgroup.   I had also thought to use
WebDAV but was put off by the apparent need (still, sigh) to use IE5+ as
the client.   I think it (WebDAV) was supposed to be incorporated into OO.o
wasn't it, at some stage?   I did a Google and search on the OO.o site but
drew blank looks.

Thanks for the tip-off for South River!

<snip>

>Before I started here, the above was achieved by having the unfirewalled
>NT box directly on the Internet and the clients directly connecting to
>the network shares *gasp*.

"Gasp" indeed :-)

Cheers,
Denis