[plug] Samba group awarness

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Mar 25 22:45:26 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 21:59, Adam Ashley wrote:
> what you need to do is setup the unix group to window group mappings.
> Samba 2 automatically passed them through however in samba 3 you need to
> map them properly to windows samba sids and group names. this means you
> can properly define the domain administrators and domain users groups
> and all that stuff.
>
> what you want is the net groupmap and net group commands. Also check out
> Chapter 12. Group Mapping MS Windows and UNIX.
>
> We've been running a samba3 against ldap for auth with everything you
> described for about 4 or 5 months now. works well

Thanks Adam,

In all my searching and reading, the appropriately named 'Samba HOWTO
Collection' avoided me!  There is plenty of reading and answers to all
my questions there.

Thanks for the slap in the face :)

Are you able to briefly enlighten those of us who are grossly
under-informed in the ways of LDAP as to how it may benefit such a Samba
installation?

Ryan