[plug] server keeps dropping out

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 11:21:32 WST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Jon  Miller wrote:

> On the Red Hat server you cannot login from the console,  on the Debian you can.
>
> Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
> Director/Sr Systems Consultant
> MMT Networks Pty Ltd
> http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
>

> When this happens can you still log in from the console?  If you can what
> happens when you bring the nics down then back up again?  Does it start to
> work again?
>
> If so then it may well be the NICs that are giving you woes.  These ones
> have been known to do that given randomly high (or not even that high)
> traffic, and then work fine for ages and not give any of your colleagues
> problems (I've got a couple that have never played up for me).  There may
> well be better drivers around.  Donald Becker did the 2.2 kernel tulip
> drivers but you can find 2.4 ones at http://sourceforge.net/projects/tulip
> Or you could try changing the NICs for different manufacturers ones (try
> not to go cheap).
>
> If of course my first paragraph isn't what is happening then disregard
> this ;)
>
> Regards,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner (I lost the internet for a couple of days,
seems that paying your bill isn't enough for iinet)

So, on the server that you can still log into the console on can you
restart the network (/etc/init.d/networking restart on debian)?  And does
it just carry on as if nothing had happened?

On the machine that doesn't let you log in what do you find?  Is there a
kernel panic (to which I would probably, without seeing the message, get
out my tarot cards and say disk, but probably be wrong) to be analysed?

--
Mark O'Shea