[plug] Help setting up Apache/PHP on Debian

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sun Mar 28 01:23:25 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 01:02, Chris Caston wrote:
<snip>
> I'm trying to install on a Celeron 2.4ghz machine with Debian Sid and
> kernel 2.6.4-1-686
>
> I installed the php3 module straight out of unstable and ran:
>
> modules-config apache enable php3
>
> I have also modified the apache httpd.conf file
>
> to try and LoadModule and AddType
>
> Please find my httpd.conf file at the following url:
>
> http://www.arach.net.au/~pcaston/httpd.conf

I always manage to get it working eventually, but never recall the exact
path to success.  When the browser prompts you to save the file, it
should say what type it is sending it as.  It is possible that it is
sending as application/x-httpd-php3, not application/x-httpd-php as you
currently have defined.  If that is the case, patch your config file as
such:

437,438c437,438
< <ifModule mod_php3.c>
< AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
---
> #<ifModule mod_php3.c>
> #AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
440c440
< </IfModule>
---
> #</IfModule>
750c750
<     #AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
---
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php

Will it work with php4?  That is far less fiddly and requires no
modifications to the config files to work from my experiences, just the
LoadModule line.

Ryan