[plug] Still not able to route to adsl

bob bob at fots.org.au
Sat May 1 22:22:53 WST 2004

Thanks for the reply.

On Saturday 01 May 2004 21:24, raven at themaw.net wrote:
> On Sat, 1 May 2004, bob wrote:
> > I have not been able to crack this one since I posted regarding this on
> > Wednesday. I would really like some clues on how to get this working -
> > please :)
> >
> > To refresh those that are interested's memories here is what I am
> > trying to achieve and some of what I have tried
> >
> > ADSL (NB1300+4)
> >
> >         eth1 (192.168.1.x dhcp'd from ADSL)
> > Gateway/firewall  (debian)
> >         eth0 (192.168.0.x)
> >
> > hosts on LAN
>
> I guess I can assume that the Gateway/firewall has ip_forwarding enabled
> (dumb question)?

I made sure that everything in proc/sys/net had an "echo 1 >" to it (well
within reason)

> Walk me through how you think a packet will find it's way from a host on
> the LAN to the other side of the ADSL?

Hosts on LAN have a default route gateway'd to the IP of the
Gateway/Firewall's eth0 (192.168.0.x), eth1 on the same box is the default
route out heading towards the NB1300's 192.168.1.1 IP From there its
supposed to be easy peasy PPPoE my ISP's end  IP is the default gw for the
NB1300  (routing table on the NB - appears to be correct - and does work in
some simple configurations as mentioned )

> Have you done a traceroute to a external address to find out how far it
> gets and where it goes?

It gets to 192.168.1.1 and stops. Whether this is due to it actually
stopping there or the replies to the icmp's not getting back is an unknown
at the moment.

traceroute to 202.72.177.62 (202.72.177.62), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  fluff (192.168.0.x)  0.523 ms  0.224 ms  0.209 ms
 2  fetch (192.168.1.1)  1.259 ms  2.495 ms  0.929 ms
 3  *

(host names on my LAN consist of short words beginning with F for somewhat
obvious reasons. It was probably a mistake to name the NB1300 fetch.
I was thinking - fetch: to bring something.
It was thinking - fetch: evil spirit / ghost :)

--
I'd horsewhip you if I had a horse.
		-- Groucho Marx