[plug] Still not able to route to adsl

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun May 2 14:39:08 WST 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:15:14AM +0800, bob wrote:
> 192.168.0.0	255.255.255.0	192.168.1.x	br0

The br0 indicates you are doing ethernet bridging. Perhaps I've
missed something in the thread, but are you sure you want this?
Running "brctl show" will confirm if it really is a bridge.

Ethernet bridging is completely different from routing, NAT or
"Bridged mode on the ADSL modem". Instead, it lets your join two
ethernet segments on different interfaces and your machine acts like
a network switch. For just routing between two networks (eg,
internal LAN and one or more internet connections), it isn't at all
necessary.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious or I'm way off track!

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>