[plug] WOL

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon May 3 19:32:58 WST 2004

G'day all,

Another obscure one.
I have a large server which contains lots of noisy bits. I have now relocated this machine into
another room and hardwired a Gig-E into my living area.
I now have a diskless machine to work from that is a great deal quieter than the old machine.
Not knowing that the Gig-E card I was purchasing was a 2nd revision of the card and has a completely
different chipset to the one I thought I was ordering, it does not have any provision for a boot
rom. So I'm booting the machine off a usb keystick using dos and loadlin.
What I'd like to be able to do is have this fire up the server using WOL before it loads the linux
kernel. Now I have looked for apps to do this, but they are either win32 or linux. I'm of course
after a dos app (not likely but I thought I'd ask).

Failing this I guess I can put an initrd on the usb stick and load a bootstrap linux distro that
wakes the server, waits for it to come up, nfs mounts the root dir and then does a pivot_root into that.
I was hoping for something a little easier though.
Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Brad