[plug] WOL

Paul Dean paul at thecave.ws
Tue May 4 10:15:35 WST 2004

Hya,

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Brad Campbell wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> Another obscure one.
> I have a large server which contains lots of noisy bits. I have now relocated this machine into
> another room and hardwired a Gig-E into my living area.
> I now have a diskless machine to work from that is a great deal quieter than the old machine.
> Not knowing that the Gig-E card I was purchasing was a 2nd revision of the card and has a completely
> different chipset to the one I thought I was ordering, it does not have any provision for a boot
> rom. So I'm booting the machine off a usb keystick using dos and loadlin.
> What I'd like to be able to do is have this fire up the server using WOL before it loads the linux

Does the card have a PXE boot rom? You can set up a tftp server and
config the card to grab the kernel and load in memory.

Else you an use "etherwake", debian has part of thier pool. Any other
distro google it.

A good DOS WOL proggy is "etherboot" @ http://etherboot.sourceforge.net/
or http://www.gknw.de/wol.html .