[plug] Smartlist/Exim and Westnet

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed May 5 14:54:27 WST 2004

Quoth Trevor Phillips:

> Giving a bounce:
>     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<xxx at westnet.com.au>:
>     host mulgara.westnet.com.au [203.10.1.47]: 504 <tokimi>:
>     Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

As James said, the problem is your Exim telling the remote SMTP server
that its name is "tokimi" when it first connects to the SMTP port.

It has nothing to do with Smartlist, and isn't really even an
Exim-specific bug, but rather a misconfiguration of the linux box itself.

What does "hostname -f" say on that machine?
What's in /etc/mailname?

I don't remember which one, but I'm fairly certain Exim uses one or both
of those to work out its hostname.

If "hostname -f" doesn't provide a FQDN, edit /etc/hosts so you have:

w.x.y.z    tokimi.<domainname> tokimi

the IP address is not important, but having the FQDN (first) and short
name on the same line is essential

- Matt