[plug] Smartlist/Exim and Westnet

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed May 5 15:41:08 WST 2004

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 14:54, Matt Kemner wrote:
> Quoth Trevor Phillips:
> > Giving a bounce:
> >     SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<xxx at westnet.com.au>:
> >     host mulgara.westnet.com.au [203.10.1.47]: 504 <tokimi>:
> >     Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname
>
> As James said, the problem is your Exim telling the remote SMTP server
> that its name is "tokimi" when it first connects to the SMTP port.

Aah, Ok. I'd only had problems with mail lists (but upon consideration - I
don't send much other mail via that SMTP...)

> It has nothing to do with Smartlist, and isn't really even an
> Exim-specific bug, but rather a misconfiguration of the linux box itself.

That's what I thought initially - but I couldn't find anything in the exim
config using the shortened version of tokimi. I thought smartmail might've
been munging headers incorrectly.

> If "hostname -f" doesn't provide a FQDN, edit /etc/hosts so you have:
>
> w.x.y.z    tokimi.<domainname> tokimi
>
> the IP address is not important, but having the FQDN (first) and short
> name on the same line is essential

Bingo! It had the non-FQDN first. Y'know, I've been adminning UNIX boxen for
many years now, and this is the first time this has come up as an issue. I'll
certainly remember it for future use tho - FQDN first in /etc/hosts for local
machine. ^_^

Thanks!

I still don't like Smartlist much (but I like Mailman even less). Tempted to

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |